Hearty Italian Vegetable Soup is a delicious way to pack in your vegetables. This recipe is satisfying, filling, and perfect for prepping ahead for lunch.
Add this recipe to your next weeknight dinner menu. This recipe is budget-friendly and is loved by the whole family. Hearty Italian vegetable soup is so satisfying and delicious, it’ll quickly become a staple in your house. Perfect for a grab-and-go lunch or an easy dinner, it’s a go-to meal for me when the weather cools down.
When the weather cools down I love prepping a large batch of soup for easy on-the-go meals. Make a batch of this soup for dinner, then pack it up for a healthy lunch later.
2 Italian Spicy Chicken Sausage – Casing removed
2 Carrots Chopped
1 Onion Chopped
1 Celery Stalk Sliced
2-3 garlic cloves minced
6 mushrooms sliced
2 Zucchini Cubed
2 cups fresh spinach
1 Can Garbonzo beans – strain and rinse
2 Tbs Tomato Paste
1 Quart Chicken Stock
1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Dried Basil
1 tsp Dried Parsley
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh Basil & Grated Parmesean (garnish)
- Wash and prep vegetables
- Remove sausage casing
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot on medium-high heat, and add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pot
- Add sausage to the pan, break it up with the spatula, and cook until browned, remove from pan, and set aside to drain.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pot, and add onion, carrot, and celery. Add in salt, pepper, and oregano. Saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until the vegetables are coasted and the tomato begins to caramelize
- Pour in chicken stock, then add in strained garbanzo beans, mushrooms, and zucchini.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Season with dried parsley dried basil and more dried oregano. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sausage back into the pot.
- Simmer for 15-20 min on low.
- Stir in fresh spinach.
- Serve with crusty bread and garnish with fresh sliced basil and grated parmesan.
Note: Soup will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.