Instant pot chicken pozole verde is a great weeknight dinner that makes great take-and-go leftovers. The instantpot pressure cook feature does all the work for you. Garnish with lime wedges, chopped cilantro leaves, cabbage, and radish. This recipe is healthy and satisfying, and will certainly be a hit with the whole family.
Homemade Salsa Verde:
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Combine tomatillos, poblano pepper, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and garlic in a blender; blend until smooth. Set salsa verde aside.
*Can be substituted for store-bought. You will need 2 – 19oz cans of salsa verde of your choice
POZOLE VERDE INGREDIENTS:
- 1lb chicken breast boneless skinless
- Homemade salsa verde or 2 – 19oz cans of salsa verde of your choice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1-quart chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 Bunch of cilantro stalks chopped finely separating stems and leaves
- 1/2 head of cabbage thinly sliced
- 3-4 radishes thinly sliced
- Chop the cilantro separating the stalks from the leaves. Add chicken, salsa verde, chicken stock, cilantro stalks cut, and onion.
- Season with 1 bay leaf, 1 tbs dried oregano, and 1 tsp cumin. Replace lid.
- Close and lock the lid. Select the pressure cook function according to the manufacturer’s instructions; set the timer for 45 minutes. Allow 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to the manufacturer’s instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- When the timer goes off: Release the pressure and remove the lid. Remove the chicken and shred. Add back to the instant pot. Add in 2 cans of hominy, and the cilantro stalks
- Replace and close the lid. Set to soup function; according to manufacturer’s instructions;
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to the manufacturer’s instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Ladle pozole verde into bowls.
- Garnish with lime wedges, chopped cilantro leaves, cabbage, and radish.
Chef tip: Pre-chop the garnish vegetables and place them in containers, cover them, and place them in the fridge until meal time. Then when you are ready you are ready to serve. This recipe is great on its own or served with quesadillas.
Chicken pozole verde is great because you aren’t stuck in the kitchen stirring for hours. I love my instant pot pressure cooker and use it for multiple family favorite recipes. Year-round it gets so much use. I am linking my Amazon affiliate link (I’ll get a few pennies if you get one!). Being able to set up a meal and walk away makes family life way easier.