Looking for a delicious snack to munch on during movie night or a new side for dinner? Why not try making homemade pretzels? Not only are they fun to make, but they’re also a crowd-pleaser that everyone will love. This recipe pairs perfectly soup or a sheet pan dinner.
This recipe is easy to follow and yields soft, chewy homemade pretzels that are perfect for dipping in your favorite sauces or enjoying on their own.
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) warm water (just make sure it’s not too hot, around 100°F (38°C) is good)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (7g) instant or active dry yeast (1 standard packet)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 3/4 – 4 cups (469-500g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Coarse salt/coarse sea salt for topping
Baking Soda Bath:
- 1/2 cup (120g) baking soda
- 9 cups (2,160ml) water
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer, whisk together warm water, yeast, and honey. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it gets foamy on top.
- Add salt, melted butter, and 3 cups of flour. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, then add 3/4 cup of flour. Mix until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If it’s too sticky, add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes in the mixer or on a lightly floured surface by hand. Cover and let it rest for 10-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces and roll each piece into a 20-inch rope. Shape them into pretzels.
- Boil water and baking soda in a large pot. Boil the pretzel for 10-15 seconds and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm and store any leftovers at room temperature for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
If you’re looking for a fun and delicious snack to enjoy with friends or family, homemade pretzels are a great choice. This recipe is easy to follow and yields soft, chewy homemade pretzels that are perfect for dipping in your favorite sauces or enjoying on their own. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic kitchen tools, you can make these tasty treats in no time. Plus, the baking soda bath gives the pretzel bites that classic golden brown exterior that’s so irresistible. So, gather your ingredients and let’s get started!